Posted to rec.outdoors.rv-travel,alt.home.repair
Nate

Default Is there a reasonable soundwall for a loud generator

"Nate" wrote in message
t...

"PeterM" wrote in message
I just got back from a vacation, and my neighbor mentioned that my son's
generator is too loud. I'm wondering if there is a way we can make it not
so loud. build a wall, buy maybe some igloo thing, with a exhaust fan, or
something like that...Any help is appreciated

Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation! And then put a decent muffler on
the thing.

I saw a guy in a state park a couple years ago who had built a styrafoam
box to enclose his generator. He had fans on two sides, one blowing in
and the other blowing out. On those sides that had the fan he had a
double wall, spaced about 6 inches apart, where the fan blew air down
between the two walls to exit on the side. Kind of like this

______________
| air flow
|^ __________
| ^ |
| Generator |
|__________ ^ |
Air Flow ^ |

_____________ |

The idea was to keep the sound contained inside the box and not allow it
to exit through the ventilation.

The whole idea seemed kind of silly to me. I would have just invested in
a replacement exhaust system with a good muffler.

Nate

"Phil Asay" wrote in message
om...
Sooo, was it quiet?

Phil

*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
http://www.SecureIX.com ***

Not any more quiet than my factory installed Onan. But certianly quieter
than it was before the box was built. When he lifted the lid it was
noticably louder.

Nate