Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Default Water Shutoffs: Knob vs Lever

Abe wrote:

My kitchen sink is at the end of the water supply run. Bath tub comes first,
then bathroom sink, and finally, the kitchen. The water pressure in the
bathroom is fine, but it's bordering on anemic at the kitchen faucet. It's a
brand new Moen, and the same problem existed before I installed the faucet.
I wonder if the reason is that in the supply line, after the bathroom but
before the kitchen, there are shutoffs - the lever type that you turn 90
degrees to operate. Does that type have any sort of bad reputation for
messing with pressure, as compared to the knob type that requires several
revolutions to open or close?

The type of shutoff has no bearing on pressure.

It is true that the type of valve has no bearing on the water pressure,
however it does have a bearing on flow rate which most people perceive
as pressure.

The ball valve type (1/4 turn lever, or some new knob types) provide a
straight through flow path that provides far less flow resistance than
the multi turn knob type where the water has to take typically two 90
degree turns. In short the 1/4 turn ball valve type are superior to the
multi turn type.

Pete C.