Leo Lichtman

Default need ideas for bike trailer

rick fetters wrote: (clip)I was thinking about using a large S.S. sald bowl
for the 'nosecone' and tail-end and weld both to a galv. sheetmetal cylinder
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I can see how the design your are describing would be very eye-catching,
but, unless you really value the "streamlined" look, I think you can do
better. Making it out of two large metal salad bowls an sheet metal will
probably make the trailer heavier than necessary, and I doubt that, with a
trailer, you will be pedalling more than about 15 mph most of the time, so
air resistance is probably not that important.

I build mine using a large plastic storage container with a hinged lid. The
chassis was welded up out of electrical conduit, which is cheap, light, and
easily formed. I used a pair of 20" front wheels, and two front forks. I
towed it by attaching the tongue (conduit) with hose clamps, using 1" Tygon
tubing, to a Tee on my seatpost. The Tygon was flexible enough to allow me
to turn, and the trailer to tilt going over bumps.

The only problem I had was that my plastic box rested in the frame without
fasteners, relying on its weight. When I had no load, the box tended to
bounce around. This would be easy to overcome with some sort of straps or
clamps.