Posted to alt.home.repair
No

Default Running wires...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just bought some small reading lights that I'd like to install over
my bed and I was hoping to run the wire (single wire for power) behind
the wall down to a power outlet at the baseboard. My concern is that
the power wire is very thin and I'm wondering if this is a potential
fire hazard; any ideas on that? My overall plan is to drill a small
hole just behind the light and let the wire dangle behind the wall, it
would come out near the baseboard where it will be connected to a surge
protector connected to a standard power outlet. Any issues with that
plan?
Thanks,
Dan

Dan - The best solution would be to mount the fixture permanently. This
would involve installing a box to mount the fixture on, a wall switch if
desired and running romex wire in the wall from an appropriate connecting
point.

The light you bought may or may not support this type of install. If not,
and you do not just want to plug it in as is, then you may want to get a
different light.

You could also just install an outlet high up on the wall. The electrical
code does not specify the location of the outlets in a room if I remember
correctly.