Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default sources of wood

On 21 Mar 2006 21:22:26 -0800, wrote:

Joseph, once you get the hang of looking for it, wood is everywhere. I
have guys that work with me bring me stuff all the time. A piece of
this, a piece of that, and pretty soon you have more than you can turn.

In addition to the sources mentioned above, I have also had great luck
with the 4X4 skids that wind up under all sorts of heavy things that
need to be moved with a forklift. I look it over carefully to make
sure there are no fasteners or anything that has been ground into the
wood, but have never had a big problem with anything I have picked up
over the years. I have found maple, poplar, white oak, red oak,
sycamore, and many kinds of wood I can't identify that make great tool
handles, Christmas ornaments, small bowls and vases, etc. A local tool
importer here in town regularly throws away pallets that have mahogany,
and some other kinds of unknown exotic looking stuff used as skids.

Wood is wood. The source doesn't matter as long as you are careful
when using it to make sure it is not one of those super allergen trees,
or something that has been treated with rot or bug resistant materials.

Robert

Sort of adding to Robert's comments... as people find out that you're a turner,
wood opportunities appear magically...
Other people's dead trees or fallen wood are our treasures.... *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis