Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob G.

Default Jointer or Planer?

I have read absolutely none of the long list of replies....

But I can tell you I owned a Jointer for years before I purchased a
Planer...and I would do it that way again ...

I am retiered been doing serious woodworking for over 40 years
and have only owned a Planner for the last 20-25 years ...A jointer
found its way into my shop almost from day 100 or 1000.....anyway
Years before I Needed a planner...

The jointer does a little more then give you a straight edge...it
gives you a flat side also...

If you make the move to buying only rough lumber you will need both
and to be honest the savings will pay for the second machine...

Bob G.

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 21:54:13 GMT, "Pop"
wrote:

Hi all,

Birthday coming up, and I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've been
given the opportunity to pick up either a planer OR a jointer
(not both) and I'm not sure which to go for first or which would
be the most useful. I also have little experience with either
tool.

I'm leaning pretty strongly toward the 13" Dewalt Planer as
opposed to their jointer. I don't do much edge gluing, and what
little bit I've done has always come out OK using a good blade on
my TS, so that directs me toward the planer. I think I'm more
interested in getting repeatable thicknesses and smooth finishes
to minimize sanding, plus as long as it's reasonably straight, it
looks like a planer makes almost any type of wood usable.

My woodworking skills run from fair to good, probably more good
than fair. Most people are suitable impressed that I can get an
ego boost from showing off my work, so I assume I'm not too bad.
I see a lot of my mistakes, but others don't seem to.
Since I have no actual experience since my high school daze
many many year ago, I thought I'd see what the folk here think.
Am I right in thinking that a planer would make the better tool
for me at the moment?

Basically, all I see a jointer being good for is making a
straight edge, not that I mean that's not important! But I
think the practicality of being able to slice 1/16 or 1/32 or
less, to a max of 1/8, of materials from 3/4" to 13" would sure
make a nice tool.
Oh, and yes, I understand what snipe is, and that a warped
piece of wood will still be warped after planing it where that's
not the case with a jointer; done enough window shopping to be
able to see that.
But, a jointer is rather limited to not much more than
straigtening and edge, right? Wrong?

Whatever your thoughts, happy to hear them.

Oh yeah, a little sidelight: While perusing the local Ace
Hardware this morning, I noticed a no-name "Planner" sitting next
to the Dewalt planers. I wonder what kind of plane job a
'planner' would do? ;-) It -was- a lot cheaper; wonder why?

TIA,

Pop