Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

Default new pine with a darker? wax look without the wax

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:36:17 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:
On 21 Mar 2006 10:20:22 -0800, "macson" wrote:

Can anyone suggest a finish on new pine (thin strips of wood) that has
this colour (3rd door down - victorian door on following site) -

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...l%3Den%26lr%3D

I can't use wax due to water splashes. Have tried danish oil but colour
remains the same - ie: new bright Pine, but want the darker look that
the waxed door has . Hope this makes sense. Ideas?

Add some wood stain to the oil. I find that mixing spirit based wood
stain with oil causes the stain to be spread more evenly over the wood
surface.

1-2% vandyke crystals dissolved in 1% caustic soda is probably your best
bet. I've got 20 odd kilos of the stuff somewhere, so let me know if you
have trouble finding it.

Would that work OK on a surface that had already been oiled?
I suspect the lighting in the photo has made this door look colder and
darker than it really is.

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack