Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

Default Types of grasses (sod)

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
We need to replace the back lawn. I have a sod catalog from Delta
Bluegrass (http://www.deltabluegrass.com/) that offers 10-12
varieties. Each one is rated on a scale of 0-10 for tolerance to
drought, disease, wear, shade, and heat.

We live in a temperate climate (San Francisco Bay Area), so heat
tolerance is not an issue. It will get watered so drought tolerance is
not an issue. It gets only moderate to low traffic so that's not an
issue either.

That leaves disease and shade. Most of the lawn (75%) gets at least
2-3 hours of sun each day; somewhat more in the summer. One end gets
maybe half that. I'm not sure if that qualifies as full sun, partial
sun, or what.

The sod company offers both single variety sods as well as blends. I
am thinking the single variety sods would be better because the blends
will tend to turn into single varieties over time. Right?

Here are the ones I am considering:

1. 100% Bolero Dwarf Fescue.
7 drought
6 disease
5 wear
5 shade
9 heat
They claim that it is a new fescue that looks like Kentucky bluegrass.

2. Bluegrass. A 4-way bluegrass blend.
6 drought
8 disease
7 wear
5 shade
1 heat
Said to be best in cooler coastal and mountain climates of California.
We are neither coastal or mountainous. It can get into the 90s for a
few days.

3. 100% Rye.
5 drought
8 disease
4 wear
8 shade
3 heat
Said to be designed for golf courses.

Does anyone have any experience with any of thse grasses?

Thanks

--
For email, use

The hardier will survive.

I always get them mixed up but your latitude or longitude is about similar
to Kentucky. I have no experience with the particular variety of fescue or
rye that you mention. The rye grasses tend to have a course blade.

Speaking as a heart of the Bluegrass person, plant the fescue. Fescue makes
for a much hardier lawn. There is very little difference in the peak spring
and fall months between the bluegrass and fescue but in those dry summers
the fescue is a clear winner. The roots tend to go much deeper. I have
reseeded my bluegrass lawn with Rebel fescue for the last 8 years and am
very pleased with the results. You do need to mow the fescue on a very
regular basis to keep it looking sharp. Once a week is good here during the
peak growing season. Every 5 days with a lot of rain.

To double check what I have said ask the person selling the sod what they
have in their yard or would sell their parents.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.