Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

Default Wireless phone jack

"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need a phone jack in a workshop to allow my burglar alarm to call out
when required. The building is about 60' from the house and on a
separate electric meter.

Is there a wireless phone jack with this kind of range? Nothing I see
advertised mentions a range, but I get the idea they're very short
range.

The obvious answer is to bury a cable, but there's a patio and other
obstacles that make this very difficult.

Uh- 'wireless' doesn't mean RF. Most piggy-back on the electric circuits,
like the old wireless intercoms. They MAY work, if both service drops are
off the same transformer can, but don't count on it. Is your phone service
on the same poles or buried service path as your electric? Ma Bell can
probably do another drop, bridged to the same number. Or is your shop meter
daisy-chained through the house service somehow? Or if you don't wanna
involve ma bell, find a reel of bury-rated phone cable. Unlike electric
service, distance isn't really an issue, so you can take a roundabout route
that doesn't mess up your patio and such. A flat shovel and a slit in the
turf, shove in and tamp down. Make sure you also put a phone out there, and
check for dial tone and make a call once in a while to verify cable is still
good.

aem sends...