Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dave Balderstone

Default sources of wood

In article , Joseph Handy
wrote:

I have an uncle who lives in a rural area and would probably share fire wood
with me. Would green, roughly chopped wood, work?

It's your best wood to learn on.

I periodically post a message on my local newsgroups offering to take
down small hardwood trees, which has netted me some nice fruitwood.

Walking the dog and bicycling with eyes open has got me some beautiful
box elder burl and elm by just ringing a doorbell. Especially after a
windstorm...

And noting the tree service trucks in the neighborhood and not being
shy to ask has netted crabapple, willow, elm and ash.