Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O.

Default OT? need help casing a pocket door

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 06:47:46 -0500, "Tom Nie"
wrote:

Have built this house from scratch but don't know the best way to layout and
attach the casing. As flexible as the door's frame is I want to use the
casing to stiffen it as much as possible. For the jamb I'm thinking a 1x
screwed into the small openings in the steel frame along with construction
cement. Then bring the casing to the jamb as normal but cement it as well -
?screw to the steel/mdf frame?

You have the right idea. Normally we attach the 1x jamb material
through the little slots. You can use trim screws or even nails if
you're a good shot. Use an adhesive if you like but only if your
steel stud is plumb. If not, you will have to pull the jamb away from
the stud (at either the top or bottom) to get things plumb.

As far as casing goes attach it as normal but make sure the fasteners
don't come through the inside of the metal stud. You probably have a
3/4" stud plus 1/2" rock plus the thickness of your casing. As far as
gluing goes glue only one side unless you can get the door out without
the removal of the casing. Some hardware will allow you to drop the
door from the hangers and then (if you have wall and height clearance)
slide it out of the opening. You can check this before installing the
casing. If you can remove the door, go ahead and glue the casing.

Mike O.