Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Shower surround remove/replace

There are a whole range of construction methods for showers. You probably
won't know what you have until you dig in. You probably won't know how much
wall damage you did and if replacement of wallboard is required until after
you demolish. If you need to buy all materials at once, assume it will be a
gut and rebuild.

"jl" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like some advise on removing/replacing a shower surround in my
house. It is original to the 10 year old house and has developed
cracks in
the floor that I have patched several times. I want to remove and
replace
it. What is the easiest and best way to take the old one out so that I
do
the least damage to the surrounding walls? I know that there is a nail

flange under the existing drywall. Where is it best to cut the drywall
so
that the new one can easily be put in? Is it best to patch the drywall
or
replace all of it?

Thanks,

John