Posted to alt.home.repair

Default BX routing issues

Hmm. Now you've got me worried. Power is not coming from above. (Should
it be?) The way this is working is that I have a switch in the wall
which currently (excuse the pun!) controls an outlet. So I decided to
drop some BX down the wall and essentially extend that switch leg up
into a ceiling fixture. The outlet will still be powered, as there are
enough wires (three - neutral,switch leg,and capped off unused) in the
existing conduit to run a constant hot to the outlet as well. When I
opened the outlet up and the switch, I found that the previous
electrician did me a favor and left a capped third wire in case
somebody wanted to split the outlet and have half controled by switch
and half always on. At least this is what I assume he did it for, but
I'm not complaining because it saves me from having to fish another
wire to the switchbox.

Is all of this proper wiring? I can't think of anything wrong unless
I'm violating some code.
Thanks much! Great advice!
-ben