Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default BX routing issues

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 07:01:56 -0500, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

The Westinghouse (1100) I believe that's the number, fan brace can be cut
down. Just pop out the dead end cap, slice off a few inches of the tube and
a few inches of the screw, then pop the end cap back on. I wouldn't hesitate
to notch a little of the header and for protection, you could sleeve a small
piece of half inch tubing over the cable

Agree with the above. But for the other question,
for crossing over the joist, you ideally want to
drill through the joist halfway up. and at least a
handspan away from where it bears on the I-beam.
you can probably get away with a notch and a cover
plate there, too, but it's a bad habit to get into.

I'm assuming that the power is coming from above,
and this bit headed down the wall is a switch-leg?

'Cause if your power supply is in the wall too,
then it would almost be worth just putting a
half-switched receptacle up there, and hanging
a cord-and-chain light fixture from a hook.
I'm sure you'll eventually find a use for the
extra outlet.