Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David C. Partridge

Default obsolete transistor replacement

If the base is being driven by a 13.6V zener and the collector has 26V, then
I'd expect a 13V output on the emitter.

---.--------.---------------------. -26V
| | |
| x |
| x 5k6 |
| x |
= 100uF .-----.--xxxx--------|
| | | 470R |\
| V | |----- -13V
| ~ ZD = 10uF = 10uF
| | | |
---.--------.-----.----------------.----- 0V

If the above is about right then any PNP with a suitable rating should do,
and no you probably can't use the VR you have as -15V will probably be too
high for the following circuits.

Dave

"Dave" wrote in message
"David C. Partridge" wrote in message
I'd think that any PNP power xistor with an adequate voltage rating would
do - this is just a pass xistor wired as an EF isn't it?

David

I know very little of transistors other than their basic function, so I
don't know the answer to your question above.

As I noted, it's being used to (down)-regulate negative DC voltage. What
might the reason have been to opt for this transistor over a regulator?
There is a +5VDC regulator right next door in the same circuit.

Can I use the regulator in place of the transistor?