Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Default Jointer or Planer?

George wrote:
"Chris Friesen" wrote in message

George wrote:
I use the jointer much more than I use the planer.

Just curious...how do you thickness your wood without using the planer?

Hmmmmm ... comparative get you, or are you curious? What I wrote, which
makes sense, if you think about it, because there are two edges and one face
to join per board. If you rip it, you may even do another edge or so.

Well, the context of the original post was which one to get if you can
only get one of them.

I read your post as suggesting that the jointer is a better option
because you use it more. While that may be true, if you only have one
of them the planer would be my first recommendation.

You can use jigs to allow the planer and table saw to do the work of a
jointer--not as well or as efficiently, but they'll do it. It's very
hard to do the work of a thickness planer with other power tools.

Chris