Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

Default Jointer or Planer?

Basically, all I see a jointer being good for is making a
straight edge, not that I mean that's not important!

Although I reccomend that you buy the planer. You misunderstand the benefit
of a jointer. First you want to *face* joint a board to make sure that the
big surface is flat; then you edge joint. For an accurate edge joint, you
need to have a flat reference surface to place against the jointer's fence.

So you think that you can buy flat lumber? or you can buy jointed lumber?
Maybe, but it's not going to be cossistantly as flat and square as a a
freshly milled edge done by you that day. This is one area where DIY is
generally better than a professional job done on huge industrial equipment
(except particulary large boards). IF you buy rough stock, it may be close
to flat, but not dead flat. If you buy prejointed stock, by the time that
you get to use all of it, it will no longer be true.

This may sound all way too anal, but it is a subtlety that provides a very
real and measurable benefit. Ever since I started jointing (face and edge)
all of my stock the accuracy of my work stepped up considerably. Eliminating
all twist (which is what face jointing fixes) resuts in assemblies that are
flat and square. It is damn near impossible to assemble a flat frame and
pannel door if there is a little bit of twist in a stile, or of the edge is
not truely square to the face. The twist is magnified by the connecting
rail. Think through this geometry.

For me, having a jointer is about establishing reference faces from which
all althe milling operations are made.

Oh yeah, a little sidelight: While perusing the local Ace
Hardware this morning, I noticed a no-name "Planner" sitting next
to the Dewalt planers. I wonder what kind of plane job a
'planner' would do? ;-) It -was- a lot cheaper; wonder why?

1st generation planers did not have cutter head locks. The result is snipe
and lots of it. Over the life of the planer you will pay for the increased
cost by not throwing away sniped wood. Sure there are workarounds, but they
don't always work and they are a significant PITA. BTDT.

Cheers,

Steve