Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

Default Plastic ch plumbing

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 11:00:34 +0000, Sponix wrote:

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 10:26:19 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

It has its attractions... Easy to thread,

That's what he said.

easy to bury,

So is copper when coiled a plastic coated.

and quick to cut,

So is copper.

form and assemble.

So is copper.

Plastic always seems 'amateurish' to me, like it was designed for
people who don't know how to solder or operate a bender.

Personally, I prefer copper as it appears more professional and
'permanent' somehow.

I dunno what it is but plakky pipe has an 'aura' similar to secondary
double glazing, iyswim?

I agree with your aesthetic sentiments. I once saw a piccie of a
very vintage radio (sorry, "wireless set" :-)) where the wiring was
done in dead straight lengths of about 16 gauge with perfect 90 degree
pulled bends - like a tube map in copper. Nicely bent and joined copper
pipework is like that. However in terms of getting a job done soundly
and to a reasonable price for something like central heating in a
furnished house you can't beat plastic under the floors and out of sight
(with just a bit of copper where it's on show).