Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Perkin

Default Advice on which electric scale inhibitor to use.

Andy Hall wrote in
:

On 21 Mar 2006 04:28:02 -0800, "
wrote:

I assumed they worked because my plumber installed a magnetic one
inline to the new boiler I brought. I thought it was the same
principle. Are you guys all saying that these don't work either ?

Completely useless.

This document:
http://www.southernwater.co.uk/pdfs/.../drinkWaterQua
lity/SoftenersWRCnote.pdf
based on research from WRc (if I remember correctly, the now-
privatised Water Research Centre labs) that physical conditioning
devices do *indeed* work, but that the scale-reducing effect cannot
be guaranteed.

Which is not quite the same as "useless" - more a case of "suck it
and see".

WRc does say that other testers have found the AQAtotal device
efective.

The document at the link above will answer most (?) questions and
will repay careful reading. Whether the cost of the AQAtotal (which I
don't know) would be repaid is a different question...

Find info on the AQAtotal he
http://www.aqatotal.com/index_e.htm

For info: as part of a house renovation project, the plumber doing
the boiler installation for me has installed an in-line permanent
magnet device. I expressed my scepticism that it will work; he claims
it does, and has one himself. I will wait and see - but I'm not
holding my breath.

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.