Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

Default Jointer or Planer?

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Pop" wrote:

Birthday coming up, and I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've been given the
opportunity to pick up either a planer OR a jointer (not both) and I'm

not
sure which to go for first or which would be the most useful. I also

have
little experience with either tool.

Depends on how you buy your wood.

I don't know what others' experience is, but it doesn't seem to matter how I
buy my wood. S3S doesn't consistently have a straight edge, so I end up
jointing it anyway. And no matter if you buy your wood planed, it's rare
that I need it in the exact thickness supplied.

SFWIW, there are many work arounds for a jointer, but your options are
much more limited when it comes to a planer.

Agreed.

Lew

todd