Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

Default Related to Usenet?

In article ,
lid (Terry Keeley) wrote:

I'm not quite as net "savy" as some of you guys so maybe

someone could
explain to me how they take a usenet group and

transform it to display on
http://www.diyprojects.info/bb/forum8.html
???

The overall idea is pretty simple: Basically, the owner of the forum
runs a program that acts as a newsreader - kinda like Agent or MT
Newswatcher, but with no user interface - that grabs newsgroup postings
and does whatever work is needed to post it to (or make it appear that
it has been posted to) the forum as if the program were a poster
connected to the forum.

Another way acts as a go-between to grab a message from the newsgroup,
show it to you, and let you reply, storing only the header data on the
forum.

There are several other ways to do it, but they all boil down to a
program that acts as a "USENET server --- forum software translator".

Like I said, though, that's just "the basic idea" - As anybody playing
with metal is probably aware, "the devil is in the details". That's just
as true for computer code. "Under the hood" of whatever program is being
used, there's a *LOT* more going on than the quick summary I gave. For
info at that level, you're going to need to look at program code, or
talk to the programmer(s) who put out whatever package is in use - It's
just *WAY* too complex, with far too many "Could do it this way, or that
way, or some other way" variations possible to even try to fully explain
as a newsgroup posting without re-writing mutiple books worth of
information in the process.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info