Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Default Cavity insulating stone walls

Phil L wrote:
wrote:

With all this talk of insulation, is it workable to cavity insulate
stone walls with random cavity? I would have thought so, though expect
a lot of filing holes would be needed. But I know its advised not to
cavity insulate some wall types.

definately not.

A housing estate was insulated in Scotland (new build) and was later found
to have undressed stone on the cavity side....after six months or so all the
houses got damp, and I mean seriously damp, fungus growing outof walls,
timbers rotting everywhere, the rsidents had to move out while the houses
were ripped apart and the insulation removed.

The *minimum* cavity size to be filled must be at least 50mm, with undressed
stone this is impossible to gauge, some places it might be 75mm and others
only 35mm...it just doesn't fill and water ingress is the result.

So what you are saying is that all cavity fills are likely to cause
problems but that with a wide enough span, most homes get away with it?

Whilst it explains the uselessness of modern cill board sizes, it
doesn't alleviate fears of TB resurgence. I get the impression some of
us are living in time bombs.

Is it really so?

Check your brickwork with an hose pipe. If some of the bricks are
upside down it will show. Most face bricks are designed to shed water.
I doubt it is crucial but in a frost....

(Just thought I'd frighten you while we are telling horror stories. And
now children: Good night!)