Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default Blow torch, propane torch

wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

mm wrote:

Does it bother anyone here that so many people refer to a propane
torch as a blow torch, and that so few people seem to know what a blow
torch is?

No, because they do the same thing. However, most people probably
couldn't figure out how to start a blow torch without some help and wold
consider them extremely dangerous.

George, you surprise me. Given your usual exactedness I figured it would
bug you as much as me. I realize we cannot change the world's use of
language, but I just can't lump together anything that has a flame with blow
torches. Picky, I am.

Of course key to this discussion and which no one has really addressed,
is what exactly is the correct definition of blow torch? I always
thought it referred to the antique devices that used gasoline in a like
a quart size container attaced to an upper part that was the torch.
Like this:
http://www.fotosearch.com/PHD248/os04018

In movies or the media, it's common to see that term used to refer to
an acetylene cutting torch, but I wouldn't call it that.

A quick websearch found this from Wikipedia:

A blowtorch has several meanings, which deal with tools that consume
fuel. It may mean a:-

Cutting torch, a handheld torch used for cutting metal.
Blowlamp, a torch using propane or butane; its predecessors used
gasoline or kerosene for fuel.
One of the G.I.Joe toys is named Blowtorch: he is usually shown with a
flamethrower.
See blowpipe

Also, look at these, which are current ads for propane torches which
are called blow torches, but many look remarkably similar to a
Bernzomatic and use the same fuel:

http://microtorches.ayay.com/BlowTorches.htm

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/0-759

So, what are others opinions of the correct definition of blow torch?

The antique you showed is a blow torch. More
modern ones are a bit different. An acetylene
torch is just that, a propane torch is just that,
and a flame thrower is just that. However that
doesn't keep people from making up names or using
slang or the terms incorrectly. The blow refers
to requiring a pump to build pressure and blow the
flammable material out. Modern gas torches don't
have pumps, so they just spew. Should we call
them spew torches? A flame thrower could be a
blow something, it isn't a torch. Nothing that
shoots burning material 10's of feet can possibly
be called a torch unless one also thinks a bulb
type baster is also a medicine dropper.