Posted to rec.woodworking
Trevor

Default Making long boards out of short

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Is there any practical way of doing this? I have 160± pieces of 1"x6"x42"
boards. Hem fir.
Is finger jointing possible in the home shop. Willing to pay for some
tooling. Could a commercial place 'fingerjoint' this for me for a price
that would be less than buying equivalent amount of lumber. BTW, I live in
the Northwest, we have some lumber mills nearby.

BTW, 15 years ago I cut 3000 l.f. of custom moulding for a re-model that I
was doing. Still have the Foley Belsaw moulder. At that time a lumber
supplier was able to get me finger joint (not door jamb) 1" primed paint
grade lumber for a very attractive price. Finger joint has no knots, does
not warp (every other piece is flip-flopped) and is great to work with.
Sure beats the mdf which turns to dust when you shape it.

Thanks for ideas,

Ivan Vegvary

You could also use a lock miter router/shaper bit as well. Just route
both board ends flat/horizontal and flip them... just like the funger
joint in that manner, but offers greater utility...

unless you plan on doing a lot of this joining, then a fingerjoint
cutter may be the best option.

~Trevor