Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default Jointer or Planer?

"Pop" wrote in message
news:9wFTf.3570$hI1.3441@trndny06...
I'm leaning pretty strongly toward the 13" Dewalt Planer as opposed to
their jointer. I don't do much edge gluing, and what little bit I've done
has always come out OK using a good blade on my TS, so that directs me
toward the planer. I think I'm more interested in getting repeatable
thicknesses and smooth finishes to minimize sanding, plus as long as it's
reasonably straight, it looks like a planer makes almost any type of wood
usable.

I use the jointer much more than I use the planer. If you buy your wood
rough cut, you can easily recover the cost of the planer. Might even
convince SWMBO by showing her the difference in price between surfaced and
not.

Anything but a jointer is just a workaround, and shop time is precious.