Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
David Todtman

Default Axle Material

Finding metal.

Look in your yellow pages under "steel" or "metal" sales. Don't forget to
look for "scrap metal" too.

In my general area, there are two large outfits that sell steel and other
metals but they require a minimum purchase that has always been more than I
have needed.

There are also a couple of machine shops that retail steel. When I need new
steel, that's where I go.

We also have a scrap yard that sells used steel. This is a great source if
you can find what you need.

Steel can sometimes be found in yard sales. Last summer I bought about 40
ft of brand new steel welded up into a 'deck railing' fence. It was
unpainted too. A few summers back I picked up over 60 ft of deck railing
(painted that time).

I personally have avoided the metal bins at Home Despot and its ilk because
that steel is SO expensive.

David Todtman

"knowone" wrote in message
news
Paul,

Where or what type of store carries it?
Shipping is costly, as you know.

"Paul in Redland" wrote in message
What's wrong with cold-rolled of the correct size?

"knowone" wrote in message
ink.net...
I am always needing to put tires on some items that I use such as large
fans, homemade generator/s, carts, etc. I have used drill-rod once in an
emergency. Other times, all-threaded rod but I know there is other
material that has to be cheaper.

What am I overlooking that is dirt-cheap, like me?

Thanks