Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

Default OFF TOPIC-GPS advice sought please

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
Greetings All,
It looks like using a GPS for locating features on my 10 wooded acres
would be a real bonus. Especially since my wife cannot tell where she
is on the parcel. There are many available for around $100.00. I don't
really want one for driving directions, or that has a bunch of maps in
it. I just want to know, with reasonable accuracy, where I'm standing
in relation to a map of the parcel. It looks like a 3 meter circle is
standard accuracy for the $100.00 units. I think this will be OK. So,
opinions and advice please because there are so many options and so
many well educated folks reading this NG.
Thanks,
Eric R Snow

I bought a Garmin 12XL, about $150, and I love it. It is such a good GPS
that it is standard equipment in USAF survival gear packs.

It will get you within 10' on a good day. The accuracy varies. Depending
on what you want to locate, this may or may not be acceptable.

If you have landmarks you can enter, like corner markers, a big rock, a huge
oak, and the like, it can give you a pretty good idea. I have seen the
smaller $100 ones by Garmin, and they have a smaller screen that doesn't
give you as good an idea. The top of the line ones have maps and all, but
you don't need all those bells and whistles.

I vote for the Garmin 12XL, and you can probably get one on ebay for cheap.
Download cables, car power supplies, nimh rechargeable AA batteries
........... all relatively inexpensive compared to some models and brands.

I use mine on trips as an accurate speedometer, and distance traveled to
figure mileage.

Once you use one and get the hang of it (a short time), you will be
surprised how often you use it. You can even use it to get back to a spot
on the water where you caught fish, like over a cliff, or some bushes, and
be pretty accurate. If you find some mineral deposit out in the desert or
in the woods, you mark it, and you can get back within spitting distance of
it the next trip.

HTH

Steve