Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

Default OFF TOPIC-GPS advice sought please

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 21:37:58 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Eric R Snow wrote:

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:17:34 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Eric sez:

" . . .I just want to know, with reasonable accuracy, where I'm standing
in relation to a map of the parcel. It looks like a 3 meter circle is
standard accuracy for the $100.00 units. I think this will be OK. . . ."

I've had GPS since it wasn't cool - Garmin GPS 45. I still have it. If I
understand your question correctly you wish to locate specific points in
your parcel of land and then reference those points to a map. In order to
do this you must have a highly detailed map to begin with. I can't say with
any certainty how detailed that map should be. I don't know of any sources
that have maps of sufficient detail for one to pinpoint locations within a
10 acre parcel. The DeLorme maps of residential areas are an exception,
but I assume your parcel is not residential.

The GPS will give you the latitude and longitude coordinates of any point
you pick to "waypoint". This means you hit the waypoint key and the GPS
records the current location as a point for future consideration. Then to
find that waypoint on a map the map would have to show sufficient detail to
discern a specific plot of 10 acres. That would be a very detailed map,
indeed. AFAIK, such a detailed topo map doesn't exist. Maybe there'd be an
aerial map of the specific area, maybe not - I'm not sure about that.

So, getting back to "waypointing". You could walk the parcel and "waypoint"
as many spots as you'd like. This in essense, stores a map of the parcel in
your GPS. You could then open the "page" that contains the map you just
drew and walk over it and see a moving cursor defining your present position
on the map.
Some GPS's can be read on a PC and allow printing of the maps (pages). This
would allow you map the area with as much detail (numbers of way points) as
you desire and download the map to a PC and printer.

Bob Swinney

Greetings Bob,
My plan is to use the legal description which gives the latitude and
longitude descriptions. And the county also has recent aerial photos
it uses for keeping track of changes. My brother, the geologist and
cartographer, is going to use this info to draw a map which will
basically be a rectangle with the outline of the triangular parcel in
question within. A grid will be drawn on this. The line spacing of the
grid will be either 10 or 20 feet. Then I can place marks on this map
and show my wife where things will be in relation to existing roads
and structures.
Thanks,
Eric

Maps, check for USGS maps online, possibly available for download
from a university site. The USGS maps and photos for the CT area are
available on one of the UCONN servers, check universities in your area
for similar.

Reception, if you do have trouble getting reception in the woods, an
external GPS antenna mounted to the end of a telescopic painting /
window washing pole may elevate the antenna enough to get a decent
signal.

Pete C.

Thanks Pete. I'll check out both.
ERS