Christian McArdle

Default Building or buying a shed?

Yes I have. I probably spent a little more on materials, but then I
made it using far more subtantial materials for both the framing and
the cladding.

I am looking to buy a largish apex shed, about 3.5m x 2.4m (12ft x 8ft),
with the gable end being on an 8ft wall and double doors on the 12ft
section. Given that a decent quality bought one is over £1000, do you think
it is worth building one from scratch? What do you do for the roof
structure? I don't think I want ceiling joists, so how is the strength
obtained? (I am currently presuming that you just build the frame strong
enough that the rafters don't exert too much of a outwards load on the walls
anyway). I will be insulating and plasterboarding the interior.

How do you joint the framing? Skew nails? Timber connectors? Coach bolts? If
building myself, I'd probably use 18mm T&G cladding, 50x75mm studs with 50mm
Celotex or Jablite, 18mm plywood, 9.5/12.5mm vapour check plasterboard. The
interior plywood is so that I can screw anything to the wall through the
plasterboard without worries. It'd probably seriously stiffen the structure,
too. The plasterboard is because it looks nicer and I'm not too fond of
spiders and it is much easier to clean the cobwebs off!

I haven't been to a builder's merchant to price up yet, but I bet there
would be change from a grand (especially as insulation and interior boarding
is extra with the bought shed). What do you think?

Christian.