Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Vibration Hollowing Bowl

"Mark Fitzsimmons" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think everyone's missing the real problem here. I'm guessing that by
using a gouge with an ellsworth grind, you're using it much like a
scraper. When you do this, you put a force on the edge of the bowl that
is radial (outward). This complicates rounding because every time you
cut, you're distorting the shape of the bowl. The vibration won't go
away once it's round. It may even get worse because it's thinner and
flexes more.

Seems an Ellsworth grind allows cutting at many places on its edge depending
on the presentation angle. Wouldn't be my choice, even if I could afford
one however, because I'm a devotee of flatter forged gouges. They can be
held firmly on the rest and present the same edge to the piece that a badly
supported deep gouge cutting with its ears can do.

Some pictures of the action and the result at
http://georgephoto.photosite.com/FlatGougeAngles/ for feeding your thoughts.
#4 - Bevel Reference In shows a hogging-depth cut used to establish round
for a finer pare in progress. Remember, the bevel doesn't guide on the
surface as it was, but the surface as created. Make your entry cut under
firm control, muscles locked and shift your weight as you roll in.

Won't to a bit of good if the piece is allowed to move at will, of course.