Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Default Table saw tune up

Sonny wrote:
Place your fence square to the table and parallel to the blade, and no
other position. Any blade, high or low quality, has every other tooth
angled opposite the one next in line. That angling of the teeth allows
for any clearance needed when sawing your lumber.

I think I'll object to this statement. While this may be true of an ATB
blade, it is not true of all blades.

Consider flat-tooth rip, TCG, or hollow-ground blades or even ATB+R
combination blades. They all have something other than just
opposite-angled teeth.

The blade is designed to cut a kerf wider than the blade body (either
due to "set" in a steel blade or else having carbide inserts). This
additional width is what keeps the blade body from rubbing against the
wood--not oppositely angled teeth.

Chris