Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default Table saw tune up

"BD" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got a lot of good responses for the saw blades and I think my
decision rests b/w the Forrest and the CMT. The decision will come
down to what many of you have brought up concerning the performance of
the blade. That being the set up of the saw. First off I have a newer
Delta contractor style with the after market motor pulleys and link
belt. I am very fastidious about keeping my tools tuned and it
includes my saw. Recently, on the advice of many people, I toed out my
Vega fence from being absolutley parallel to being out at the back of
the blade about the thickness of a business card. I ripped a couple of
boards and the cut is reasonable clean except for a few burn marks
(which is unacceptable). The burn marks are a result of having to
force the wood along the fence because it seems to want to travel avvay
from the fence on the outfeed side (as if the stock is staying parallel
to the blade in the kerf. Is the space on the outfeed side of the
fence the result of toeing it out? Is the fence toed out too much?
Any advice on further tune ups to really get the performance the
Forrest is capable? If not I will settle for the CMT.

More than likely your board or fence had some warp or twist. If you push it
straight ahead, it has no choice but to go straight, just as if you were
crosscutting with your miter gage. If you hold it against the fence all the
time, it moves away from the blade. If you adjust clearance for the fence
on the right, you'd best remember to correct when you move it left.