Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al A.

Default OFF TOPIC-GPS advice sought please

Eric R Snow wrote:
from the web (mostly USGS data) and
then put your waypoint data on it. Way cool.Works with other brands of
GPS also, I think. The name is escaping me at this moment, but I can
find it at home, if anyone is interested.

Hope that helps,
AL

Greetings Al,
The Garmin web site said that most GPS units will not work indoors,
but will work in the woods. Posts previous to yours said that woods
will block the signal. Of course, the density of the trees will
determine the blocking potential. Your post is great though because
you are using the GPS with success just the way I want to.
Thanks,
Eric

Hi Eric,
The website is correct, it won't work indoors, the signal is heavily
attenuated by most construction. I generally use mine in the woods. How
the new england woods compare to where you are, is hard to guess. I am
not any sort of expert, but as I said, i generally use mine in the
woods, when hunting, hiking, etc. I've never had occasion to try it in a
rain forrest, but it has worked around here for me thus far. I still
carry a map and compass if I am in unfamiliar areas. I usually only want
to be able to navigate back to my truck, camp, stand or whatever, should
I get completly turned around, so the mapping is not a big deal to me.
My unit gets me plenty close for that. I have not had problems getting
reception in the woods. Where I am, there are usually 5 or more
satelites in view, so perhaps that gives the unit enough "choices" that
at least 3 are useable most of the time. I understand that can all be
very area and terrain dependent, so YMMV, as we say.

Someone else gave an excellent bit of advice, find someone you can
borrow one from, and try it out. That is exactly what I did. I tried a
friends etrex and loved it. I got the gps60 because my wife liked it a
bit better than the etrex (longer battery life rating & better antenna),
and bought it for me. Great woman, she is. I'm keeping her.

-AL