Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OFF TOPIC-GPS advice sought please

Eric R Snow wrote:
Greetings All,
It looks like using a GPS for locating features on my 10 wooded acres
would be a real bonus. Especially since my wife cannot tell where she
is on the parcel. There are many available for around $100.00. I don't
really want one for driving directions, or that has a bunch of maps in
it. I just want to know, with reasonable accuracy, where I'm standing
in relation to a map of the parcel. It looks like a 3 meter circle is
standard accuracy for the $100.00 units. I think this will be OK. So,
opinions and advice please because there are so many options and so
many well educated folks reading this NG.
Thanks,
Eric R Snow

Eric,
I have used both the Garmin ETREX and the GPS60 (non-mapping version)
for a use similar to what you describe. Either worked perfectly for
that use, the etrex is sold for around 90 bucks in lots of places. The
GPS 60 has a few more features for around 150.00. Both let you mark
points you want to save and allows you to navigate to them, and can
create a record of the path you walk. The etrex is simpler, so that may
actually be an advantage. I like the USB port on the GPS60, as I often
upload and download stuff, but the etrex will do that also vis RS232
(you need a special connector, garmin wants 30 bucks for it, so I made
my own. Using a mill. Machine shop content). I use my GPS 60 all the
time and love it. Most excellent unit for that type of use. The GPS 60
seemed to have the best battery life for the "big name" units of
similar cost, at least when I got mine (early last year), but that may
have changed by now. I have not used any other brands, so I cannot give
an opinion on any of them.

There is freeware/shareware on the web that allows you to
upload/download locating and waypoint data from your computer, that is
better than the stuff that Garmin bundles with the GPS60. It will
download topos and ariel photos from the web (mostly USGS data) and
then put your waypoint data on it. Way cool.Works with other brands of
GPS also, I think. The name is escaping me at this moment, but I can
find it at home, if anyone is interested.

Hope that helps,
AL