Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott

Default OFF TOPIC-GPS advice sought please

Eric R Snow wrote:
Greetings All,
It looks like using a GPS for locating features on my 10 wooded acres
would be a real bonus. Especially since my wife cannot tell where she
is on the parcel. There are many available for around $100.00. I don't
really want one for driving directions, or that has a bunch of maps in
it. I just want to know, with reasonable accuracy, where I'm standing
in relation to a map of the parcel. It looks like a 3 meter circle is
standard accuracy for the $100.00 units. I think this will be OK. So,
opinions and advice please because there are so many options and so
many well educated folks reading this NG.
Thanks,
Eric R Snow

The el-cheapo ($100) one that I have experience worked fine as long as
there was blue sky in all directions. Standing under a tree blinded it
to the satellites. They work at 2.5GHz (IIRC), which is strongly
attenuated by wood, either still in a tree or dried and made into a house.

A more expensive unit could probably handle the attenuation, but then
it'd be more expensive...

It may be more effective in the end to discretely mark the trails, and
note them on your map.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services