Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default gunsmithing: which steel for blowback bolt?

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:12:22 -0500, "Tony"
wrote:

The 1927a1 has compromises (as most full to semi conversions have) that were
made when the gun was re-designed from the full auto to the semi auto
configuration, for legal reasons.

The full auto was open bolt fixed firing pin with a wide engagement surface
on the bottom of the bolt, and the semi is a closed bolt with striker firing
pin, with narrow engagement surface. You can improve the pull by slightly
reducing sear engagement (not by filing the sear top but by building up the
bottom of the notch), and by limiting trigger overtravel. With a crisp
trigger you can fan it pretty effectively.

And put on a BMF Activater

I'm having fun getting it as good as I can, but the design
isn't really made for that. If I make a new bolt I can give the firing
pin a much wider bearing surface with the sear, which gives me many more
options for tuning the sear engagement. As it, it's a 1/8" wide firing
pin bearing on a 1/2" wide sear. I can keep the same area of engagement
with a much shallower area of contact, which I think may help.

- Proverbs 22:3