Posted to alt.home.repair
John Smith

Default Expansion/contraction in winter

I have a 3 year old house that has a problem with expansion/contraction in
the winter. The house was built in the summer and consequently during the
winter I have a couple of doorways that go out of square and a few cracks
appear. Then when it warms up again that doorways go back to normal and the
cracks close up. (This is all on the inside).

I feel I should mention that the house is about ~80ft long with a ~35ft
steel I-beam supporting the back half of the roof. The beam was glued in
place.

I am not sure if the beam contracting is the problem or not. Any ideas
about what is causing it, and how to fix it?

thanks