Jeff Wisnia

Default Advice needed - steel furniture design

Sb083459 wrote:

I'm designing a piece of computer related furniture to be made primarily out of
rectangular steel tubing and I'd like to have a prototype made, to be followed
by small scale production on a monthly basis. I'd appreciate any advice on the
best (i.e. cheapest) way to go about this (e.g. sourcing the tubing and having
the fabrication, welding and finishing done myself, or contracting the whole
process out to a furniture manufacturer).

I've searched for ready made components, such as steel table legs, that I could
possibly use instead of having them built from scratch, but prices are quite
high. Does anyone know of a good source for such items? TIA.

Shameless plug from a proud papa; Try contacting my son Adam at:

www.pbasics.com

He can help you out with components or complete assemblies. He started his business
in a corner of a buddy's shop about seven years ago and I've watched him grow it to
where it's now vertically integrated ... from NC rotary punch presses right through
to some big powder coat finishing ovens.

His company makes all sorts of steel "specials" most of which can be classifiedas
being in the general category of "furniture". His most recent unusual project was a
batch of folding portable voting booths for the City of Boston.

Good luck,

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can keep smiling when things go wrong, you've thought of someone to place
the blame on."