Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

Default Joining aluminium square section

In article , Rob Morley
wrote:
In article John Cartmell
wrote:
I'm hoping to produce a frame for some display material. My initial plan
is to produce a square 'tower' about 900mm square and approx 1800mm high
- effectively two 900x900 frame cubes - strong enough to carry a light
notice board on each of the four 'faces'.

Would it not be easier to treat the boards as the main structural
components, and simply add legs to that assembly? Commercial systems are
designed to be modular, but as you have very specific requirements there's
no particular reason to go down that path.

Weight & space & longevity. Boards are heavy and take up a lot of space. You
can use lightweight boards as long as you have a fairly sturdy frame to hold
them. I'm trying to see if I can produce a frame that has strength because of
its shape and that will take whatever misuse is directed at it during speedy
assembly, disassembly, storage and transport. Cheap & lightweight boards can
be stored in loft or replaced. Structural boards are a problem.

Thanks,