Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

Default Joining aluminium square section

In article , Gav
gavbriggs\@[cut the spam]blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
John Cartmell wrote:
I'm hoping to produce a frame for some display material. My initial plan
is to produce a square 'tower' about 900mm square and approx 1800mm high
- effectively two 900x900 frame cubes - strong enough to carry a light
notice board on each of the four 'faces'.

I'm thinking of making the frame from aluminium square section (1cm
square?) joined with plastic fixings - square equivalent of the sort of
fixings you get for gazebos/markees. The construction needs to be set up
and dismantled in minutes, be light, and be constructed of materials that
can fit in the back of a car. And it needs to be low cost.

NB Using the design described I'd need 20 lengths of aluminium section
88cm long (having them all the same size helps fast construction) and 12
fixing pieces.

Q. Am I likely to be able to get such aluminium section and plastic
fixings? Where?

Any help would be appreciated.

how about, two square frames, fixed to, two boards hinged in the centre,
on opposite sides to form the 'frame, then some kind of support between
the two hinged boards to stop them migratingthen just use got to figure
out the other two sides?

Boards need to be mix 'n' match. I'm hoping to get the frame out of no more
than straight aluminium section.

p.s how big's the car?

Very small when everything else has been packed! ;-(