Posted to misc.consumers.house
central_scrutinizer

Default Shower doors

Yes... The day I got the doors, I emailed them about a 20% refund for
the "scratch and dent" quality of the product. I don't care if they
will replace it (I doubt they will - this is a custom made product. I
was told there is no return policy for it)... That will cost me extra
in labor. It's been 5 days, and I have no reply at all. Sometimes
emails are ignored or go to the wrong person. I will escalate this by
sending a registered letter to them and cc: the BBB (they are members).
If I don't get a partial refund, I will file a small claims case. My
contractors will testify that this was not damaged in shipping, but at
the factory. It's easy to prove - there were no glass chips
embedded in the foam that covers the edges of the panel.

It's a matter of principle. As a rule, I don't pay full price for floor
model, "scratch n' dent sale" quality products. And I refuse to pay my
own money for the labor to return the panel, and have my contractors
pick it up again in 4 weeks... Who knows, the next one could be
worse... That is, if they even do that. Like I said, when I ordered
these, they stressed that there is no return policy for these...

It wasn't just one chip... We tried to invert the panel, so the chip
would be covered by the support railings. The other side was even
worse! It had quite a few chips and it looked like the glass was cut by
a dull blade... The lack of glass chips in the packaging, or damage to
the packaging is further evidence that this happened at the factory...
This is a custom made product, and I don't think they have the high
standards to cut another panel because they messed up and chipped this
one.

It's funny, because my contractors installed some glass mosaic tile in
the bathroom, and were able to cut it without chipping it. It can be
done. You'd think people in the glass shower door business would know
how to do this right... Maybe they are too cheap to replace their
diamond saw blades? I don't know... when you pay top dollar, you expect
quality... At least I do...

The next day, after I took my first shower and saw the huge puddle on
the floor, I called them and asked for the same piece that goes on the
bottom of the shower door. I wanted to put that on the side of the door
panel. It would not only prevent the leakage, but cover the chip in the
glass. They told me this is not a suitable part, and are sending me
what I understand to be some type of weather stripping. They said this
would cover the chip, but how would they know? If it's weather
stripping, it will not do that. It's some cheapo self-adhesive thing
that will probably peel off in a few years and look like crap.

They could have designed these doors better. The way they are designed,
there has to be a small gap between the panel and the door. Seems like
it should come with some rubber edge so the door closes tightly with
the fixed panel. This is not rocket science here. If some people find
this aesthetically displeasing, they could make it optional. Some
people will take form over function... Even these people would be
dissatisfied by chipped glass, though...

I've learned a lot by this whole experience. Usually, you do get what
you pay for, but not always. In the case of these shower doors, I spent
50 times as much as a shower curtain, rod, and hooks, and received a
product that is inferior in performance.

The only cool thing is the Hydroshield treatment. The water just sheets
off, and you don't need to wipe down the shower doors. I'm interested
to see how this holds up over time. Hydroshield is not Holcam's
invention... It's a value-added resale option, and it made by another
company. There's nothing clever about Holcam's own products. They're
just two pieces of glass with some support rails and hinges. A 3rd
grader could have designed these things...

But I cannot recommend these shower doors, which brings me to the point
of this post. My mother was going to buy Holcam doors to replace her
shower doors, but after I told her about these issues, she decided
against it...

So, to get back on topic, can anyone provide me with another vendor of
quality shower doors that are 5/8" thick tempered glass... I mean,
these have to be made by a competent company that can cut the glass
without chipping it. I'm sure one can get better product for less. I
was lazy and went to the Home Depot, and that's the only swinging
shower door product they sell... I've found the sliding ones always
build up gunk in the tracts and are impossible to clean. It's like a
breeding ground for mold.

So please let me know of another company that makes these products. I
would be happy to avoid the Home Depot. During my whole remodeling
project, I have found the HD to be overpriced and while they have
everything, they don't have a good selection of top quality products
with elegant design. For example, if you buy a bathroom vent at the HD,
it looks like something from a Motel 6, and it costs 30% more than
something you would get at an electrical supply store... If you live in
a big city, there is always an industrial neighborhood with specialty
stores that sell quality products at marginal cost. These stores are
often in scary neighborhoods and are basically warehouses, and are open
from 9-5. This makes them a bit inaccessible for some, but I highly
recommend shopping around at smaller businesses. All of the problems I
have had with products have been resolved quickly, and I return to
these places again and again, and recommend them to family and friends.

I was able to get natural stone tile that was 30% less than the HD,
better quality, and it looked like nothing you'd see at the HD. The
HD has some pretty cheesy looking tile, hardwood, and plumbing
fixtures. Maybe if you're remodeling for the Waltons?

So all of those people worried that the HD would put smaller stores out
of business, I can tell you, they are no competition. Their products
are cheesy and overpriced. The HD is OK for some things, but they
don't even have a good selection of something like grout!

Anyway, any recommendations for 5/8" tempered glass shower doors made
by a company that can deliver quality products? My current
recommendation is to go to Target and get a rod, hooks, and shower
curtain. If your shower looks nice to begin with, it will still look
really nice with a shower curtain...