Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Beam advice

Steve Barker LT wrote:
Thanks for the many replies. I'm sorry I didn't supply enough info. It's
an old house that we're fixing up for our own use. An engineer
is out of the question.

After reading your additional information and viewing the photo, I would
have to say that I feel all the stronger than an engineer is not optional.

I can't express this in any other way, but to say:

It would be extremely foolish not to pay the cost of an engineer. Keep
in mind that if it fails and you did not use an engineer, your home
insurance will likely be voided.

What I failed to mention is that this is a
kitchen ceiling where the house was added on to many years ago. The
kitchen is 14x20 and the ceiling joists run across the 14. What they
did is basically remove the entire end wall (the original outside
wall) and left only 2 rough cut 2x4's on either side of a brick
chimney holding what ever load there is there. There is a picture at
this link: http://www.barkerranch.net/images/DSCN8772.jpg We do not
want this mini wall and chimney in the middle of our kitchen. None
of the wood members is tied to the chimney in any manner, so I
figured if four 2x4's can hold it for 50 years or so, then what I
propose should do the job.

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message
I need to place a beam to support a ceiling (and roof above that). The
span is 14 feet. Supported only on the ends. I'm thinking of 3
2x12's with a half inch of plywood between each. Is this overkill,
not enough, or just right? I don't really want anymore beam than
necessary, but also don't want it sagging 5 years from now.

thanks!

--
Steve Barker
Stilwell, KS