Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Home wiring

On 18 Mar 2006 22:14:21 -0800, "MikenAZ"
wrote:

Would like to change a single switch, which controls an outlet, to a
dual decora switch to control two outlets for cabinet lights. Incoming
wire is 12/3 (black, white, grd), while current outgoing wire is 12/4
(white, black, red, grd).

This ground you refer to, is it an uninsulated wire? If so, you
have 12/2 and 12/3 wire, because that one isn't counted.

I haven't bought a new outlet yet as I am
unsure what to buy.

Do I need to run seperate service to each outlet and break steel tab on
outlet?

What is the point of breaking the steel? tab?

Is the current outlet on the way to the second new outlet? Or is it
in another direction? If the first is true or can be thought to be
true, you run a new piece of 12/2 from the current outlet to the new.

Or Can I use existing wiring to service outlet so both switches work?

Does the existing wiring go to this outlet that doesn't exist yet?
That would be surprising!

Thanks,

Michael