Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

Default Musing in praise of the woodturning lathe. (very long)

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have to say it is certainly one of the most versatile tools in the
shop. I think that comes with all the devices we add, modify and
otherwise purchase to make this machine more useful.

If you think about it, the lathe has almost become a Shopsmith. You
can grind, disk sand, plate sand, polish (I polish metal with an 8"
wheel on my mini), buff, clean rust off with wire wheels, add drill
chucks to hold various attachments, and on and on as mentioned. Oh
yeah, and if that doesn't float your boat, you can always turn some
wood. ;^)

It is certainly one of the most (if not the most) configurable machine
in the shop. I am still waiting for someone to cobble together some
nasty spinning blade to use their lathe as a mini table saw. I am
surprised it hasn't happened yet; it would sure be easy enough to do.

Robert

Could be that has already happened, but they no longer have hands able to
write and tell us about it! {:-)

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.