Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner

Default Vibration Hollowing Bowl

I put my roughed-out box elder bowl back on the lathe yesterday. Its about
10" in diameter by about 6" tall. It had dried some, so I had decided to
thin down the walls to hasten drying by taking a few hollowing cuts off the
inside of the bowl. Although the bowl walls are well over an inch thick (1
1/8"), I get a low frequency vibration when I start the cut near the rim of
the bowl. As I near the bottom, the vibration diminishes and goes away.

The bowl is mounted in my Super Nova chuck with a 2" stub tenon. The chuck
is tightly seated against the spindle....no plastic washer or anything. The
2" standard jaws are tight on the tenon. The tenon is intact....not cracked
or anything I am no longer using tailstock support as the bowl is now
hollowed. The Crown PM 5/8" Ellsworth grind gouge is freshly sharpened.
Still I get the vibration. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Barry

PS Is it time for me to replace my Super Nova with a new Stronghold
chuck? Do I just need to put this blank on the rack, wait a few weeks and
let it finish drying before I come back to it?