Posted to rec.woodworking
peterh5322

Default Another Electrical question

On 2006-03-17 16:35:25 -0800, "stoutman" .@. said:

I am trying to determine how I would feed the TS power from the same
outlet. Of course I will not be running the two at the same time. I'm
not as think as you stupid I am!

Could I make my own extension cord from #10 and run it through some
flexible conduit? Does the metal flexible conduit need to be grounded?

What I have elected to do is to install a single duplex NEMA 6-20R
receptacle in the wall.

12-2+G to the receptacle.

20 A breaker for the branch circuit.

Each machine has a long cordset, usually SOOW (extreme service, oil and
water resistant), and a NEMA 6-15P or 6-20P, as required.

I do have a couple of "extension cords", 6-20P to 6-20R, 12-2+G SOOW
for special cases (table saw outside cutting dozens of boards).

SOOW is also available in #10 (down to #2, actually).

The 240 volt receptacle I use is a Hubbell 5462 (also subbed by Leviton
and others), which is an all-nylon extreme service type. These accept
both NEMA 6-15 and 6-20 plugs.

For 120 volts, I use a Hubbell 5262 receptacles, also an all-nylon
extreme service type.

Expect to pay about $16, list, for a 5462 (about half that for a 5262),
but also expect these to last a lifetime.