JAMES RISER

Default Warping when Hardening and Tempering

The angle of approach to the water quench can cause some warping. I would
probably quench it bevel first into the water. Some knife makers even
quench in such things as watermelons. Do not over heat the steel. Do you
have access to a surface grinder? If so, the piece can easily be trued and
sharpened after tempering. I have a blade clamping jig for resharpening my
jointer/planer blades. It holds them at the correct angle and really allows
for a good edge grind. This could make for a quick/easy solution to your
problems. The final edge could then be honed by hand, if needed.
Jim
--
James P. Riser
Http://www.JamesRiser.com