Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

Default gunsmithing: which steel for blowback bolt?

On 19 Mar 2006 10:43:44 -0800, redice wrote:
And polish the hell out of all the surfaces. Even those that touch the
frame/rub on the pin holding the trigger/sear you would be surprised
what polishing those can do, or at least in my 1911 they did/are "aint
quite done yet "

Deburring is the first thing I did. OK, I'm not a master machinist by
any means, but FFS, if I leave a burr, I clean it up. Kahr doesn't seem
to be all that careful about such things. There was a burr, for
instance, which was bearing on the side surface of the trigger, next to
the pivot pin. Absolutely worst possible place to leave a burr, guys.
Overall, I'm OK with the fit and finish. I realize that expecting a
match target quality trigger from _any_ production gun, as shipped, is
unrealistic. I'm having fun getting it as good as I can, but the design
isn't really made for that. If I make a new bolt I can give the firing
pin a much wider bearing surface with the sear, which gives me many more
options for tuning the sear engagement. As it, it's a 1/8" wide firing
pin bearing on a 1/2" wide sear. I can keep the same area of engagement
with a much shallower area of contact, which I think may help. Needs
some quality time on the mill, and I don't want to screw up the original
parts I have, so that's the motivation for making my own bolt - the
overall dimensions are of course right but the way the firing pin
channel, in specific, is executed is not the way I want to do it. i'm
envisioning something very much like a M1903's firing pin by the time
I'm done. (If I can use a M1903's firing pin parts, so much the
better).