Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Default Copper to PVC leak

Chris wrote:

I'm installing a water softener at the house and can't seem to get it
right. Out of the wall is 1 inch copper pipe. I've sweated on a
copper 1 inch threaded male adapter. The soldered joint is good - no
leak . Then I've wrapped teflon tape clockwise onto the copper
threads and attached a 1 inch female threaded PVC adapter

SNIP

Never use a female adapter on the PVC side. Reverse everything
so that the PVC terminates in a male adapter.

You *may* get the present arrangement to stop leaking but,
over time, the female adapter will fail due to the outward
forces of the tapered threads.

Don't forget to add a bonding jumper around the plastic
piping.

Jim