Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Home wiring

MikenAZ wrote:
Would like to change a single switch, which controls an outlet, to a
dual decora switch to control two outlets for cabinet lights.
Incoming wire is 12/3 (black, white, grd), while current outgoing
wire is 12/4 (white, black, red, grd). I haven't bought a new outlet
yet as I am unsure what to buy.

Do I need to run seperate service to each outlet and break steel tab
on outlet?
Or Can I use existing wiring to service outlet so both switches work?

Thanks,

Michael

The new outlet could be the problem. The switch is just a switch no
problem. Putting in a new outlet means running new wires to it. You can't
just cut an existing wire in a wall and add an outlet. It does not sound
like you have the experience and knowledge to do this safely.

However if all you want to do is change out the switch and change the
outlet to now both the top and bottom plugs are switched, that is doable. Is
that what you want to do?

I wonder if making both outlets switched could cause a local code
violation with not having an outlet available over X number of feet of wall
space, since both would become switched outlets?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit